Sunday, January 1, 2017

Post 30: Thinking of Edges, an Important Detail

  For all the test pieces I have done so far, I didn't think about the edges. On a 1/4" panel, the wax rolls over the edge nicely and creates a slightly uneven edge that is quit attractive. Therefore an option would be to make a slightly smaller black cradle to glue the panel to, with say a 1" overhang, which would make the panel appear to float 1.5" off the wall. I think this could work well for small pieces.
   For large pieces however, I seem to prefer a traditional square edge panel, and I have learned that after the wax runs over the edge, even if I scrape it off, the wood will not accept black latex paint. I like the runs, but I don't want them to draw attention away from the painting.


    So edges will have to be painted black first. I will most likely end up leaving the runs of wax, I am even considering covering the edges with a thin coat of black wax first. That would make them more fragile in handling, but give them a wonderful sheen. And I really like the idea of leaving the drips and runs of wax as a testimony to the nature of the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment