Sunday, January 1, 2017

Post 31: Just discovered a new Art Technique that works great to create Texture

   First, I painted the edges of the panel black, then I filled the screw holes in the frame with soft black medium, and finally, I brushed black medium on 3 sides, leaving the bottom plain black paint so it would not pick up trash from the floor. It looks rough, with a lot of brush marks, and I have yet to decide wether to fuse it or not.
   After covering the whole panel with pigments and pastels, I rubbed it and brushed the loose pigment off carefully, so as not to raise dust, into cans of reddish, yellowish, and darkish powders. They can be used for backgrounds on another painting, or sprinkled back into the wax before fusing for extra texture.
    The panel looks much too bright and much too smooth compared to the dirty old wall I am trying to emulate. First, I tried to lightly rub darker bluish, purplish and reddish pastel sticks over the surface. But it all sits on top, and blends in as soon as I rub with my finger a little, and I am afraid it will streak when I brush  clear medium over.
    There were some spots in a corner of the painting that looked like may be water had been sprinkled accidentally, and made round marks drying. I liked it, but they were too regular and too round. So I spit on the painting, not a long single shot slug, but a close up sprinkling spray. Perfect, it made randomly spaced irregular spots of varying sizes... I think I invented a new painting technique!
     I used a paper towel to blot out some of the bigger spots, which lifted pigment and caused them to dry lighter than the  background. I started dabbing and patting  around with the wet towel. It became loaded with pigment, which caused darker specks in the light areas. I started rubbing to create dirty smears.
    I noticed the spots that were left to dry without blotting came out darker than the background.
   After a while, I ran out of spit, my back got tired, and I had to stop, so I wrote this report, to which I am adding a preliminary picture showing the effect close up:


    The next day, after a good night rest and a few glasses of wine to replenish my saliva, I spent another half day rubbing pastels on, spitting, mopping it with a  paper towel, spreading it around dabbing, rubbing, patting with my fingers. I found I got different effects rubbing pastels on wet or dry, dabbing with a wet towel or a dry one, etc... I ran a dark shadow on two sides of the window frame.
    I reached a point where I pretty much stopped looking at the mockup and started just working at balancing things out and just making the panel look better. Finally, I thought I should take an overhead picture and take stock before I brushed any wax on.



    I want to take the pigment and pastel "underpainting" as far as possible, but leave room for sprinkling pigments, brushing colored medium on, and fusing.
     Also, I believe time has come to scale and print my images on the new Epson R800, cut them out, and lay them on the panel to see how things look.


No comments:

Post a Comment