Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Post 38: Now the Hard Part: the Abstract Blue Field

     I kept that part for last because to me it is the most difficult, and it is critical to get it right. It is mostly a variation on tones and shades of aquamarine pigments, many shades of blue(I have 3 different Ultramarine Blues), with purple in the darker areas. Actually, I mixed four very dark shades of blue, green, violet, and purple using transparent Ivory Black pigment. I almost never use "plain" black, simply because there is not such a thing in nature. Tint, reflections, stains, light itself create a multitude of blacks within what we call "Black". Never assume Black is just Black, and never use opaque blacks. Ivory Black is the only one I ever use, be it oils, watercolor, or pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment