Friday, November 25, 2016

Post 20: Trying to improve a Test

    I incorporated six left over images printed on Japanese Paper into the Yellow Background with a Grid Panel, fused them in, built up the clear medium over the images, and scraped it back as smooth as possible. This is something I am actually still learning to do, and getting a slick surface is not easy. My old 1.25" scraper always seems to leave scratches and low spots. I don't mind having some, that I can fill with the oil sticks, but am trying to get more control over the process and master the scraping task.
   I found that one has to use very smooth strokes with a fair amount of pressure, and the gradual start and finish are critical. One has to keep rotating the panel and buffing it often to see the bad areas.
   I went on an Internet search for a wider scraper, and found that Kemper makes a 2" Scraper Tool. I had a hard time locating one though, as it seems to have been discontinued. Finally found a place called New Mexico Clay that had 3 in stock,  and ordered all 3 of them:


     In the meantime, I ended up with this when I incorporated 6 left over images on Japanese Paper. They actually worked pretty well because there were no really dark areas on that panel. They just got a yellow cast. But I am not happy with the way the panel looks, and need to figure out what more to do with it to tie things together and make it work:



     So I used Photoshop to experiment a little and came up with a mockup of an idea I like, using a red string actually "tying the images together", running through small holes in the panel. Then I added a hanging seal with the braided string also attached through holes:


  
    But before threading the string, I thought I would apply a Red Patina with an Alizarin Crimson Oil Stick. Also, it seemed that the images needed to be visually bound, and I used the modified Pouncing Wheel to run dotted lines following the outside lines of the grid. 
      I rubbed the oil stick well into the holes and scratches, and used my gloved finger to spread the pigmented oil over the entire panel. Alizarin Crimson has a wonderful rich transparent glow:



      I wiped most of the Red oil paint off with paper towels, being careful to leave enough in the scraped wax surface scratches and holes, and a thin film around the edges:



      In a few hours, the oil was actually dry enough to drill the holes and weave the red string through. I used 6 cords of 3 different colors plaided together to make the cord to hang wax seal.


      I felt the big 2" seal was too big for such a small painting, but the 3/4" were not big enough. The only choice offered is a 1 1/8" wax seal, so I redesigned its Artwork eliminating the inner ring of text, and ordered it made to use as a signature on smaller pieces:


No comments:

Post a Comment