Thursday, November 10, 2016

Post 11: Lessons Learned so Far

     I will be doing many more practice pieces with different techniques, but I have already drawn some lessons:
    1. Gluing paper to the board is not a good idea, as it tends to come loose and bubble under heat, and curl up around the edges when using watercolor. I do love the idea of working on paper, but I suppose I will have to give it up and use the specially formulated absorbant Gesso instead.
     2. Plain pigments work very well to color the medium, and are much cheaper than oil sticks. It actually takes very little pigment, and the colored medium retains much transparency.
     3. Rubbing oil sticks on and wiping it off to fill in scratches, pits and grooves with contrasting color works very well, but these oil sticks are expensive as hell!
     4. Cutting grooves in the wax surface, overfilling them with colored wax and scaring it back produces wonderfully clean lines. And I definitely like patterns of curves and straight lines. While doing research yesterday, I ran across this image, which I absolutely loved:



   It looks like the grooves are cut in the black to reveal the yellow layers below. Whether it is done that way or not, I want to experiment with that technique.
    In fact, I liked the piece so much that I went back, and found out it was the work of Elise Wagner, an Artist that has been working with encaustics and oils for many many years, and has produced an extraordinary body of work. Do look at her comprehensive web site, especially to her Archive going back beyond 2004. I am by mo means in love with everything she produced, but there are a number of her pieces I like very much:














No comments:

Post a Comment