Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Post 47: Well, Politics intrude again in a way!

    My good friend and fellow protester and political activist came to me with the idea to do a special piece to be auctioned of at her house at a fudraiser for our common activist friend Jennifer Gray, who is running as a Democrat for an Alabama House Seat in District 45, which is right next to my mine(a secure Democratic stronhold). I said sure, and started working in Photoshop following Elizabeth suggestions on a colorful layered image of Jenn's beautiful smiling face and images symbolic of Alabama and especially Distric 45. It became something like this:
             

      I was pretty happy with it, Elizabeth and her husband Jack liked it, but then we had a meeting with the volunteers organizing the Auction, and as always when working with a commitee, people had different opinions, and suggestions were made that I should change this and that to the image.
      Now, I was an Artist working on a piece of Art, capital A. That's not the way it works. Sudenly, I had become a Commercial Artist working for free for a Commitee of Organizers and a Political Candidate. Totally different ball game, which I tried my best to play. To make a long and slightly frustrating story short, the Original Image was scrapped, and ended up heavily modified in an Invitation Poster


and an animated Invitation Video:


   Now, you are probably begining to wonder why I am talking about this on my Encaustic Blog. The reason is that I decided to donate a Real Piece of Art. I proposed a "Political Piece" about the First Amendment I had been working on, and that had been sitting clamped to my worktable almost finished  for over a year. Everyone loved it, and that was it.
  Now, I had to get it finished for an Auction taking place in a little more than a couple of weeks, and when I laid it down on my work table to finish it, it suddenly seemed much further from completion than I originally thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment