Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Post 37: A Series of Small 12"x12" Simple Panels as Entry Level

   As I said previously, I want people to buy the stuff when I have a show, and have something at every price point, starting around $250.
   My original 12"x12" so called "Test Panels" were not made to sell, but I could do a Series along the same lines that could be hung in square groups of 9. The Test Panels do not really match in style, as they were experiemental, but still look pretty good as a group because the colors are consistant and warm thoughout:


     I suppose after all that thinking and planning, it's time to cut, glue, sand and prime some wood...
     Also, I still have a whole bunch of stuff to photograph, and also need to keep looking for objects I like, but are not so rare and attractive that I can't give them up and use them in a panel...

     I always liked old bottles. My mother in law had a huge collection of old bottles she dug up from abandoned dumps and displayed all over her house. I borrowed some for a while to do a bottle painting as part of my "Collections Series" back in the late 80's, and it turned out beautiful and sold quickly. But that was a lot of work to paint all the details, transparencies and reflections. It was huge too, about 5ftx7ft, on 4 large sheets of paper. Here is "Massie's Diggings", apiece I am still very proud of:


   I actually still have some of these bottles, but I don't want o use them in this project, so I ordered some apothicary bottles with glass stopper on Amazon, and will watch on eBay for good deals on old ones. Most seem to sell in the $20-30 range, but I have already found a 5.5" one for less than $10 including shipping:

     I would like to make for it my own aged ragged pharmacy label,  fill it with some kind of strange "snake oil", and use it as the starting point for a triptych, may be recessed in an ornate nook with a mica window. Time will tell, the possibilities are infinite...
     Cornell did a couple of intersting pieces with small bottle, which will no doubt inspire something quite different in the end. I like this one very much, which is actually rather unlike the rest of his shadowbox work:


No comments:

Post a Comment