Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Post 36: An entirely Different Concept and a Spare Design

     Among all the images of Astronomical and Astrological Charts I have collected, one was huge, very complex, and very interesting, the Wright Celestial Map from 1741.  It shows on the same page the different conceptions of the Solar System developed over two thousand years by the Egyptians, the Chaldeans, Ptolemeus, Platon, Pythagore, Ricciolus, Tycho Breha, etc...
    I have always liked old maps and charts, but I was particularly taken by this particular one because I just finished reading 3 big volumes about the lives and work of Copernicus, Kepler, and Gallileo, who themseves came up with diffeent systems.


    It is big and detailed enough to be spread continuously over the 3 pieces in a triptych, so I built three virtual 18"x18" panels of chalkboard, with veneer frames, layered the chart with the Luminosity Effect so it is visible, but subtle enough to remain in the background. It will eventually be drawn by hand in chalk on a base of chalkboard paint. I can only used a narrow slice of the central part of the Cart, with the Sun slightly off center on purpose.


     This can become an unusual piece looking again very different from the others, yet still be an Hommage to Cornell, who loved Astronomy. I will have to keep it simple. The chart shows the orbits of the Earth, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, and(barely) Saturn. I had on file a number of Nasa images of the Planets I could draw from, so I placed the planets on their orbit where marked, added the names of Copernicus, Kepler and Gallileo and symbols for the Zodiac signs to the background,  and decided I would cut out small 4 to 5"doors opening on niches where I would place balls painted to look like Jupiter and Mars, as well as the Sun:


        The small Mars and Jupiter will also be painted balls serving as knobs to open the doors. The Sun door will open with a real key hanging from a nail in the frame. 


      I am even thinking of possibly painting the planets and the sun on 4" light bulbs that would turn on when the door is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment