Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Post 35: Something Different

   I often surf eBay or Etsy in seach of interesting old things that do not cost much, and hapenned to run across a set of three weaving Bobbins with nice colors of wool on, wound to create a nice bulge, and I bought them, thinking I could build a Triptych around them. Those are definitely my colors:


    They are definitely very oblong in shape, and 9" long, so I decided to build 3 vertical panels 18"Wx 25"H, with narrow vertical niches to fit the Bobbins. I also thought the "Veneer Frame" I used on the big Blackboard would match the color of the spools nicely, and they would stand out on matching dark rusty brown background with the same Cosmological chart drawn in a lighter shade:


    This time, I decided to work on the 3 panels at the same time as a triptych, and made a template that could possibly be re used with different oblong objects(bottles, pods, tools, etc...), using other backgrounds and textures:


      These Bobbins are designed to fit in a Wooden Boat Shuttle, so I looked on ebay, and found some nice cheap ones. I made a low offer and got them even cheaper. They are on the way, but the plan is the photograph them with the Bobbins in place, and to use these images. 
     I brought back from my World Travels several spindles used to make the wool thread by hand, so I searched for images of better ones, and found an image of some wonderful decorated Inca Spindles from Peru:


   Unfortunately, the image is too small to print, so I will have to eventually make some, either for real or in Photoshop. I also found images of old wooden combs used to pack the wool weft on the loom, and images of interesting Ancient Spindlewhirls. I built the composition of all three pieces similarly with different images.
    I wanted some sort of narrow frame around the niche, and doing some research on weaving techniques, found interesting diagrams showing the Jacquard patterns for different designs. Most were too complicated, but I found a couple simple enough to give an interesting pattern:


 This is where I am now, and I am letting it sit before adding anything else which it probably doesn't need. Always careful not to overwork...


   

No comments:

Post a Comment