Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Post 27: I probably should have left it alone!

   I have often said that the hardest thing to know for an Artist is when to stop. How many times have I flipped through pages of books giving a step by step painting lesson, and decided that step 8 was much better than the final result... In fact, it is always almost the case.
   But then again, my purpose here is testing and learning the technique. So I mixed pale shades of five different blues and purple in medium, and applied them at random with a palette knife, troweling one color into another and layering them on top of each other. I ended up with a pretty thick crusty layer, onto which I sprinkled pigments of all the colors I had used , plus specks and spots of brighter purple, deep Lacquer Red, Mayan Green and even some Bright Orange.
   I proceeded to fuse with the blow gun on hight heat, and after cooling I scraped the wax back smooth and thin enough to show the transparencies.The picture actually does not do justice to the subtle variety and depth of colors.
   

    I am not sure I like it BETTER than what I had before, but the colors are rich and glowing. It doesn't look anything like what I planned either, but then I probably should get used to that, as both the wax and the Artist take a life of their own, and the mock up is just a starting point anyhow. The point is to end up with something I like, rather than reproducing the original concept.
    Before I play any more with this panel, I think I am going to start on "Trompe l'Oeil Window", and tackle it full size. I don't expect the ochres to be as difficult as the deep blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment