Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Post 22: Ready, sort of...

     After a day of drying, which I spent sorting old papers and cleaning up, one last thick coat of Teak Oil did the job, and after letting it soak in about 30 mn, I wiped it off with paper towels and polished it with a rag. The result: a 49.5" x 171" table, and brighter lights than I ever envisioned. I started assembling the 4ft x 6 ft panel for my first serious piece, using primed 1x4's and 1/4" Sureply Plywood Underlayment
    It is a High Quality Premium "Green" Birch Plywood which has a white priming on one side and a Lifetime Warranty. The sheets are very flat and smooth on both sides, better than the more expensive standard Birch Plywood.




   I am building this  panel 4" thick because it has a 17" x 25" window like recessed area, and a "floating" back panel:


    I am also building a standard 4ft x 6ft panel using primed 1x2's made of hardboard. I am switching to these because they don't warp like real wood, and the plywood either.
     The only issue is the priming of the plywood, which I am going to have to mostly sand off to replace with the special ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment