Sunday, December 18, 2016

Post 26: Wisely Starting Small

   I guess that big 4ft x 6ft panel scared me a little, so I built a quarter size one to do a study for the final painting. It will allow me to hopefully figure out how to get these wonderfully rich and glowing Blue, Purplish and Caput Mortum tones.
    I made a mock up of the background alone, since it has to be nearly completed before I incorporate the images. I can't print them right now anyway because my old Epson R1800 is totally clogged up. I am going to have  to get a new Archival Printer, and am looking at the new Epson P800, which is getting great reviews everywhere, and is sold with a $300 rebate until December 31. And it is a 17" printer, the R1800 was only a 13".


    
    I want the horizontal stripes to stay sharp, so I taped them off, worked the colors with pigments and pastels, and put a layer of clear medium on top. I figured out quickly that if the pigment layer was too thick, it would not incorporate into the fused wax. I also realized that colors got a lot darker when covered with medium. So I am now keeping the color layer thin by brushing off the excess with a soft Hake Brush, and am keeping my colors much lighter. I want to be able to build up a layer of blue and dark purples with touches of different tones of lightly colored transparent wax that will run into each other in fusing, hopefully creating interesting color variations...
   I covered my wax stripes with tape, and am now working on the marron bottom area, starting with yellow ochre and red ochres. Finally, with the rest taped off and covered in paper, I did the large blue area at the top with mostly Ultramarine Blues and Purples and Mayan Purple. 
   After brushing on a layer of clear medium, I scraped it back as thin and smooth as possible, and polished it with paper towels:


   It still a long way from what I am trying to do, but it's actually pretty nice.
   I almost hate to mess it up piling more wax on!

No comments:

Post a Comment