Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Post 28: Test Panel looks Good!

 Well, I sanded the primed panels smooth with 180 grit sandpaper, and put on 2 coats of Chalkboard Paint, letting them dry overnight, and sanding them smooth. In this particular case, I want to avoid the fine grainy foam roller texture I usually like, and have a smoother surface similar to a real chalkboard.


    I first rubbed orange, green, black, and white Rembrandt soft pastels, as well as harder white chalks on the Test Panel and erased with a pad, wrote things and drew lines and circles and erased again, to create the illusion of a well used chalkboard. I then used a General's White Charcoal pencil and Conté white pencil to draw circles, lines, letters, triangles, etc... These do not erase much, but I erased some areas. I wiped the panel lightly with paper towels to remove loose powder, and glued some images I had laying around using thick Acid Free Yes Paste. I used a brayer with fairly light pressure to press them down without squeezing out the glue, and after a while pressed the edges down with a small wooden convex wallpaper seam roller.
   The next day, I rolled the edges some more with a lot of pressure, and rubbed them with a burnisher to press them down. I worked on the background some more with pastels, chalk and pencils to add more visual texture. I then brushed 2 coats of clear wax medium over the whole panel, and fused it.
   The next day, I polished it, and it looked good, but the wax was much thicker in some areas than others, and I decided to scrape the excess off as I usually do. I am well pleased with the result, and ready to use the same procedure for the larger Chalkboard:


No comments:

Post a Comment