Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Post 9: Designing my Signature Seal

   I knew I wanted a large round seal, so I used this one as a template of sorts:


  
     I started to rearrange the letters to read "CARPE DIEM" around the top, and my name  around the bottom. I looked through my file of esoteric images, and found an interesting Star and All Seing Eye. I then worked on some stylized version of my longtime "symbols": the Top, the Dice, the Level/Plumbline, and the Gear.
   I want the seal to look old and worn, with almost a Medieval feel. I tried a bunch of fonts out, and found one I liked a lot that looks both old and ragged. It's called "Trattatello":


   I had to reshape some of the letters slightly, widen the C and the E, redesign the Q, and curve the words to fit around the border. I included my birthdate in Roman Nunerals. 
  This is what I ended up with:


    I made a mockup of what it would look like in red wax:

   I ordered the largest 45 mm seal from Nostalgic Impressions , and it cost me $110. I also ordered pellets of red wax. I should have it in about a week.
   A small 3/4" seal would have been only $45, and I may yet design one using just the center part with the initials to use on small pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment